Re: Show INHERIT in \du - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Show INHERIT in \du
Date
Re: Show INHERIT in \du
Key for grant attributes (was: Re: Show INHERIT in \du)
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd escribió:
> Hello hackers,
>
> psql's \du command currently does not list the INHERIT role attribute.
>  It does show the other privilege attributes (superuser, create role,
> create db), and INHERIT seems like the kind of thing a user
> executing\du would want to know.
>
> I'd like to add it to \du.  The downside is that it would add width to
> an already rather wide output, but I see that as a worthwhile
> tradeoff.  If I'm in the minority there, perhaps I could just add it
> to \du+?

I wonder if it's possible to create a more compact output -- say, a
fixed-width column, with a letter for each enabled attribute, or a space
in the respective position when the attribute is disabled.  Legend of
letter at the bottom of the output, or some such.  So instead of

alvherre=# \du                              List of rolesRole name | Superuser | Create role | Create DB | Connections

-----------+-----------+-------------+-----------+-------------+-----------alvherre  | yes       | yes         | yes
  | no limit    | {}foo       | no        | no          | yes       | no limit    | {}

(2 rows)

We would have something like

alvherre=# \du                List of rolesRole name | Attributes | Connections | Member of
-----------+------------+-------------+-----------alvherre  | SRDI       | no limit    | {}foo       |   D        | no
limit   | {}

(2 rows)
Attributes: S -- superuser           R -- create role    D -- create database    I -- inherit

For those that think that the \du output is currently OK because it
doesn't wrap, consider the french translation which is quite a bit wider
than the original:

alvherre=# \du                                     Liste des rôlesNom du rôle | Superutilisateur | Créer un rôle |
Créerune base | Connexions  | Membre de

 | oui           | oui            | sans limite | {}

(1 ligne)