Re: dynamic crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Balázs Klein
Subject Re: dynamic crosstab
Date
Re: dynamic crosstab
List pgsql-general
Hi,
ye, hundreds of columns - but there is no helping it, that’s the way many questionnaire are and the representation of
theresponses (when not in a database) is always one person per row. I would need this for exporting, but also to show
resultsonline.

Although it’s a good idea I am afraid that an array could only help me when the info I store about all the persons in
thequery are exactly the same (there wouldn’t be empty cells in a crosstab) - it’s very useful for some cases but in
generalthat sounds like a dangerous presumption for me.

I think this is a generic shortcoming of Postgres - whenever you are forced to create an EAV (Entity-Attribute-Value)
modelyou have no generic or way of going back to the usual one entity per row model. This is something that Access has
beenable to do (up to 255 columns) as far as I can remember. When I google about this topic I find that the majority of
peopleare still referring to that solution as the easiest for this purpose. Tablefunc crosstab is so close to a good
solutionfor this with the syntax where you could specify the columns with a query - the only shortcoming is that you
stillhave to enumerate the columns and their datatype. I always hope that somebody might have something similar but
generic- eg. create those columns automatically and just treat them all as text.

Regards,
SWK