Re: 8.3.0: vacuum full analyze: "invalid memory alloc request size" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Szepe
Subject Re: 8.3.0: vacuum full analyze: "invalid memory alloc request size"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> After poking around in the code a bit, I found a way to reproduce the
> assert failure:
[snip]

Great!

> Another issue is that while I can create a page with
> MaxHeapTuplesPerPage dead tuples easily enough in testing, it's not
> clear how you managed to get into that state in the system catalogs.
> Neither pg_class nor pg_attribute can have minimal-length tuples.
> Are you doing anything that would involve lots of updates in these
> catalogs --- maybe repeatedly renaming a column, or something like that?

Hmm, I typically use a pair of
"ALTER TABLE table DISABLE TRIGGER USER;"/
"ALTER TABLE table ENABLE TRIGGER USER;"
per almost every relation when loading a dump, other than that there's
only the initial db creation code (lots of plpgsql triggers and a couple
immutable functions) and then using temp tables for complicated queries.

Thanks again for looking into this,
--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>