Re: [OT] "advanced" database design (long) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From vladimir konrad
Subject Re: [OT] "advanced" database design (long)
Date
List pgsql-general
> Basically, you would be creating your own data dictionary (i.e.
> system catalog) on top of the db data dictionary.  The database
> already comes with a way to easily add columns: ddl.  I have seen
> newbie database designers reinvent this method a hundred times.  The
> performance hits and complexity of querying data would far out weigh
> any perceived maintenance gain.

And I thought that this would make me a famous database designer ;-),

well, given the deadline for this + other concerns it looks like
implementing my own type system is over-kill (+ it would be impossible
for "normal" users to write report queries).

Thank you all for input, i will do it the "normal" way.

Vlad