Re: Truncate Triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Truncate Triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> There are also some compatibility concerns involved.  If we add
> grantable privileges for TRUNCATE and/or DDL operations, then GRANT ALL
> ON TABLE suddenly conveys a whole lot more privilege than it did before.
> This could lead to unpleasant surprises in security-sensitive
> operations.  One could also put forward the argument that it's a direct
> violation of the SQL spec, which after all does specify exactly what
> privileges ALL is supposed to grant.

iirc, the suggestion was to exclude the non-SQL-spec things from 'GRANT
ALL' to avoid just that issue.  Having to grant TRUNCATE and/or DDL
operation permissions explicitly would be reasonable.  This might create
a disconnect with what 'revoke all' does, since that should really
remove all of the perms, but I feel that's reasonable.  A 'Default
secure' approach.
Thanks,
    Stephen