Re: Password policy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Patrick McPhee
Subject Re: Password policy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:32, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> ( Slightly OT - chkpass uses crypt(). Maybe that should be upgraded to
> use md5 or some more modern hashing function. )

Some versions of crypt() will generate md5 hashes if you start the salt with
$1$<salt>$. I know this to work on FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Fedora core, and I
believe it also works on other Linux distributions and Solaris. I have a
patch to chkpass.c which will do this based on a custom GUC. The nice thing
about this is that it continues to work with mod_auth_pgsql. I did have to
change the on-disk representation to fit in the extra data.

D'Arcy, if you're interested I'll send you a patch.

--
Patrick TJ McPhee <pmcphee@givex.com>