Re: Giant TOAST tables due to many almost empty pages - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Giant TOAST tables due to many almost empty pages
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Rumko <rumcic@gmail.com> writes:
> On Friday 14. of May 2010 19:29:44 Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm, do both of the toast tables with bloat problems have
>> "{autovacuum_enabled=false}" ?

> Yeah, but also many others that don't have the problem.

Hmm, well I can reproduce the problem after doing
alter table foo set (toast.autovacuum_enabled = false);

Haven't investigated exactly why yet, but I imagine that the presence of
a nonnull reloptions setting for a toast table is confusing the code
that determines the default fillfactor.

As a workaround, I'd suggest getting rid of that:
alter table foo reset (toast.autovacuum_enabled);
and then doing VACUUM FULL on the bloated table.

            regards, tom lane