Re: Spoofing as the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Mielke wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Good point.  I have added the last two sentences to the documentation
> > paragraph to highlight this issue:
> >
> >    <productname>OpenSSL</productname> supports a wide range of ciphers
> >    and authentication algorithms, of varying strength.  While a list of
> >    ciphers can be specified in the <productname>OpenSSL</productname>
> >    configuration file, you can specify ciphers specifically for use by
> >    the database server by modifying <xref linkend="guc-ssl-ciphers"> in
> >    <filename>postgresql.conf</>.  It is possible to have authentication
> >    without the overhead of encryption by using <literal>NULL-SHA</> or
> >    <literal>NULL-MD5</> ciphers.  However, a man-in-the-middle could read
> >    and pass communications between client and server.
> >
> A fact that the above misses, is that symmetric key encryption is
> actually quite cheap. It is asymmetric key encryption that is expensive.
> If you look up information on SSL accelerators, you will find claims
> that the initial SSL authentication negotiation is 1000X as expensive as
> the actual data encryption for a running session, and that SSL web
> services are usually limited by their ability to negotiate NEW sessions.
> In other words, as well intentioned and accurate as the claim you make
> above, it may be irrelevant in many real world scenarios. If you are
> going to go through all the expensive processing of having
> authentication enabled, you may as well have encryption enabled too.

OK, updated paragraph:
   It is possible to have authentication without encryption overhead by   using <literal>NULL-SHA</> or
<literal>NULL-MD5</>ciphers.  However,   a man-in-the-middle could read and pass communications between client   and
server. Also, encryption overhead is minimal compared to the   overhead of authentication.  For these reasons NULL
ciphersare not   recommended.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com