Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Le mardi 18 décembre 2007, Ron Mayer a écrit :
> Has anyone looked into sorting algorithms that could use
> more than one CPU or core at a time?
[...]
> PS: Yeah, I know multi-threading is a hot-button on these
> lists; but sorting seems a relatively isolated of the code
> and I'd wonder if it'd be isolate-able enough that multiple
> CPUs could be used there.

And before that objection to multi-threading implementation and portability
concerns arise, what about using a coroutine BSD-licenced portable
implementation such as Protothreads to have backend code use several CPU at a
time? http://www.sics.se/~adam/pt/

With such a tool, would it be possible to think about producer/consumer
parallel executions for sorting, aggregates nodes or other parts of the
executor?

Hope this helps, regards,
--
dim