Re: VLDB Features - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: VLDB Features
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> I think such an approach is doomed to hopeless unreliability.  There is
> no concept of an error that doesn't require a transaction abort in the
> system now, and that doesn't seem to me like something that can be
> successfully bolted on after the fact.  Also, there's a lot of
> bookkeeping (eg buffer pins) that has to be cleaned up regardless of the
> exact nature of the error, and all those mechanisms are hung off
> transactions.

There's no way we can do a transactionless load, then?  I'm thinking of the
load-into-new-partition which is a single pass/fail operation.  Would
ignoring individual row errors in for this case still cause these kinds of
problems?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun