Re: archive_command failures report confusing exit status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: archive_command failures report confusing exit status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 23:31 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > I prefer archive_command = ... for the errdetail though. The commands
> > > can be quite long so the extra words don't really add anything, plus
> > > they require translation.
> >
> > I did like this suggestion, but then I noticed, we don't actually report the
> > setting of the archive_command setting but the actual command that was
> > executed, with the placeholders filled out.  So I think the way I posted it
> > is more correct.
>
> I think you should lose the "The", if nothing else. Most Postgres
> messages I recall say "return code = xx" not "The return code ..."

Right, that's because they are in errmessage() and not errdetail().  The
guidelines are different.  (The reason they are different really escapes
me, but you have to note that (1) Peter invented them, and (2) this
grammatical difference always make sense when you read the logs.)

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"There is evil in the world. There are dark, awful things. Occasionally, we get