Re: archive_command failures report confusing exit status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: archive_command failures report confusing exit status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I think you should lose the "The", if nothing else. Most Postgres
>> messages I recall say "return code = xx" not "The return code ..."

> Right, that's because they are in errmessage() and not errdetail().  The
> guidelines are different.

Right --- errdetail is supposed to be a complete sentence.  (The
rationale for that is explained in TFM.)  I do find the current phrasing
a bit awkward, though; what's bugging me is putting quotes around the
command string.  It seems highly likely that the command string will
itself contain quotes and thus that the added quotes will be confusing.
I wonder if it'd be OK to do
The failed archive command was: %s

which is stretching the style guidelines by omitting a trailing period,
but I think that might be justifiable in this context.