Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 11:04:38PM -0600, Wes wrote:
> Regarding the various kernel bottlenecks, have there been any tests with
> Google's malloc (libtcmalloc)?

PostgreSQL has its own allocator on top of malloc already. tcmalloc is
optimised for many small allocations, whereas postgres only requests
blocks from the OS in large blocks. I doubt tcmalloc would make a
useful difference here.

Have a nice day,
> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
>  -- John F Kennedy

Attachment