Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules
Date
Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-patches
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >> Rules are extremely slow in comparisons and not anywhere near as
> >> flexible. As I said up post yesterday... they work well in the basic
> >> partitioning configuration but anything else they are extremely deficient.
> >
> > I think that the above claim is exceedingly narrow-minded.
>
> We are talking about partitioning. It is supposed to be narrow-minded.

Sure, but look at all the confusion we have had just on this list about
it.  We had better state why triggers should be used in place of rules
_for_ _partitioning_ or that confusion will continue.