Re: postgresql storage and performance questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: postgresql storage and performance questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Josh Harrison escribió:

> > On 11/19/07, Josh Harrison <joshques@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have 2 tables with 2 cols each( 1 numeric(8,0) and 1 varchar(3) ).
> > > In table1 both the cols are filled and in table2  the varchar colm is null

> There were a couple of things we noted.
> 1. Tablesize twice as much than oracle-- Im not sure if postgres null
> columns has any overhead since  we have lots of null columns in our
> tables.Does postgresql has lots of overhead for null columns?

No, NULLs are stored as a bitmap for each tuple and they are quite
efficient.

Probably the reason for the difference is the numeric field which Oracle
may be optimizing as a plain integer.   Did you try declaring the column
as INTEGER in Postgres?

Please do not top-post.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Everything that I think about is more fascinating than the crap in your head."