Re: ERROR: invalid restriction selectivity: 224359728.000000 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From xeb@mail.ru
Subject Re: ERROR: invalid restriction selectivity: 224359728.000000
Date
List pgsql-general
В сообщении от Sunday 18 November 2007 05:00:35 Scott Marlowe написал(а):
> On Nov 16, 2007 11:59 AM,  <xeb@mail.ru> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > Process postmaster completly eat my proccessor for a long time and i see
> > that message in logs.
> > Does anybody know what does the subj means and why it occures ?
>
> You're giving us WAY too little information to troubleshoot this problem.
>
> What message in the logs?  What does top / vmstat / ps / iostat really
> show?  What kind of query is running?  Have you got query logging
> turned on for long running queries?  Is this actually affecting the
> performance of your machine? Is the process chewing through all your
> memory?  If you know what query is causing this, what does explain
> analyze of the query look like?
>
> The more info you can provide about the issue, the more we can help.
> But first we have to be sure there's a problem.
>
> If you're asking postgresql to sort 1billion rows it is going to eat
> up a lot of CPU and there's little you can do about it.

OK, when it occures again i'll collect all information.

> Have you got query logging
> turned on for long running queries?

How can i do it ?

> Indeed, but it seems to have something to do with a broken selectivity
> estimator function (see restriction_selectivity()).  What PG version
> is this?  Do you have any add-on datatypes or operators installed?
> Exactly what is the query that triggers the problem?

PG 8.2.4

Database containes phpBB forum, jabberd-2 and gentoo-wiki mirror and who
causes trouble and what query i don't know.

I have droped gentoo-wiki yesterday and trouble did not occured yet, it seems
gentoo-wiki was causing, but i want to restore this database.
As you may know this database is large enough.