Re: Temporary, In-memory Postgres DB? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michelle Konzack
Subject Re: Temporary, In-memory Postgres DB?
Date
Re: Temporary, In-memory Postgres DB?  (Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Am 2007-11-07 10:03:24, schrieb Gauthier, Dave:
> Is there such a thing as a temporary, probably in-memory, version of a
> Postgres DB?  Sort of like SQLite, only with the features/function of
> PG?  A DB like this would exist inside of, and for the duration of, a
> script/program that created it, then vanish when the script/program
> ends.

I have done this before but it requires very much memory
if you need it writable and you must vaccmizer very often.

You need a shellscript which replace the "startupscript" for the
PostgreSQL in which you

  1)  create the RAMDISK
  2)  then decompress the previously build data.tar.bz2
  3)  start the PostgreSQL

and replace the shutdownscript with your own shellscript which do

  1)  stop write access to the PostgreSQL
  2)  vacuumizer the database
  3)  shutdown the PostgreSQL
  4)  make a backup of the previously created data.tar.bz2
  4)  compress the datadir to data.tar.bz2

I run an Opteron 140 with 8 GByte of memory and sometimes I have
problems with too less memory...  but unfortunatly I have not found
a Singel-Opteron Mainboard which support more then 8 GByte of memory
where I prefere to use 16-32 GByte...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Open Hardware Developer
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Attachment