Re: getting the number of rows affected by a query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: getting the number of rows affected by a query
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 12:51:07PM +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 16/11/2007 10:02, Sam Mason wrote:
>
> >  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (
> >    DELETE FROM foo RETURNING 1) x;
>
> I haven't played with this yet, but AFAICS this will simply return the
> integer value "1".

I currently get a syntax error, hence the way I wrote my message.

I'd not expect it to return 1 though.  The "1" is there simply to be
easy to evaluate, maybe "*" would have been better.  This 1 would get
returned to the outer query, which would end up counting the number of
rows deleted.

  Sam