Re: autovacuum: recommended? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: autovacuum: recommended?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:40:43AM +0100, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> we are moving one database from postgresql-7.4 to postgresql-8.2.4.

any particular reason why not 8.2.5?

> my question is: is it recommended to use it? or in other words, should i
> only use autovacuum? or it's better to use manual-vacuuming? which one
> is the "way of the future" :) ? or should i use both auto-vacuum and
> manual-vacuum?

autovacuum is definitely prefered (for most of the cases).

you might want to set vacuum delays though.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)