Re: LDC - Load Distributed Checkpoints with PG8.3b2 on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: LDC - Load Distributed Checkpoints with PG8.3b2 on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> it seems like a serious omission that this gives you no hint how many
> >> pages were scanned.
>
> Too complex for my taste, anyway.  I would be satisfied if the log
> entries just indicated how big the table and indexes were.  Heikki
> pointed out that the message does tell you how many heap pages there
> were, if you know to add removed + remain; but unless I'm still missing
> something there's no way to tell how many index pages.

Maybe we can save RelationGetNumberOfBlocks() at the start of vacuum for
heap and indexes, and report it as two numbers (total heap pages: X,
total index pages: Y).

We would still be missing the TOAST rel and index ...

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"Cuando miro a alguien, más me atrae cómo cambia que quién es" (J. Binoche)