Re: PLpgsql debugger question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PLpgsql debugger question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 02:03:50PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> At some point it might get integrated, but right now it seems to need
> its own release schedule.  We put the core hooks in for 8.2 but the
> thing didn't actually get published for many months after that.

What I'd prefer, in any case, is what (Dunstan? I think?) proposed, which is
something like CPAN for PostgreSQL packages.  Things that _have_ to be in
the core -- hooks and such like -- would be shipped with the basic code, but
everything else could be pulled from pgfoundry.

This approach has a negative, of course -- CPAN modules can occasionally
cause dependency hell.  But the advantage is that bugs in one component with
a small but active user community don't have to either wait for another
general release, or affect the wider community.  This approach is part of
why we made Slony-I an "add on", and even though that has had some
disadvantages, I think on the whole it was a good thing.

Andrew Sullivan