Re: Simplifying Text Search - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Simplifying Text Search
Date
Re: Simplifying Text Search  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, 12. November 2007 schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:44:18PM -0500, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > Can LIKE be easily overloaded in the parser?  So:
> >     text LIKE text
> > works in it's current form, and
> >     tsvector LIKE tsquery
> > also works like the @@?  Or have I gotten all the ts* types all mixed up
> > again...
>
> AIUI LIKE is mashed into an operator at parse time, so yes, if you
> create the operator with the right name it will just work.

What we'd need is a way to convert a LIKE pattern into a tsquery ('%foo%bar%'
=> 'foo & bar').  Then you might even be able to sneak index-optimized text
search into existing applications.  Might be worth a try.

--
Peter Eisentraut