Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Gregory Stark, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bernd Helmle, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Alvaro Herrera <-ip.org>, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
      Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
       Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
        Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Greg Smith, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Jon Sime, )

Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Andrew Sullivan" <> writes:
>
> > IMPLICIT TYPECASTS HAVE BEEN MOSTLY REMOVED.  TEST YOUR APPLICATION!
>
> I think you have to say that without using the technical gobbledygook
> "implicit casts".
>
> Something like:
>
> Non-strings are no longer converted automatically to strings when used in
> places where strings are expected. You must now explicitly cast non-strings to
> strings if you want to apply string operations on them.

I think you need to show actual examples of problem queries.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <>        http://momjian.us