Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3?
Date
List pgsql-general
Em Sunday 11 November 2007 04:51:20 rihad escreveu:
> pre-hydration, too. This all resulted in much effort not directly
> related to the business logic of my app, but rather on overriding
> Symfony's way of doing everyday web-programming tasks (like form
> validation, results listing, editing). Now I don't really want to work
> around further design inefficiencies of Symfony/Propel by trying
> updatable views. Really frustrating. Easier to just forgo any
> web-framework and write quality code yourself instead, like
> phpclasses.org's Manuel Lemos once said in his article... That said,
> Symfony 1.1-DEV/Doctrine begin to look promising.

I hope it works in the next release then...  It looks like this ORM is so
broken that ...  I can't say how it was chosen for your project.

Anyway, you are trying to solve problems from your ORM inside your database
that has no problems.  This makes things hard.  And they get even harder when
you refuse to use advanced features of the database that would help solving
the problems...

I use ORMs in Python and I don't have this problem.  I work with views,
functions, big tables, etc. and performance gets better and better every time
I optimize *any* of the two sides: application or database.  It is always an
enhancement, as if I was coding things directly by hand.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>