Re: Insert statements really slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Insert statements really slow
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 11:53:08AM -0600, Waller, David wrote:
> The data is web log data and each line has a variable amount of the
> fields (mostly because of cookies) so I am using a lot of insert
> statements.
>
> In MySQL I go through a file in about 2 minutes and it is taking about
> 30 in PG.  I have removed all but the primary key index and have done a
> BEGIN and COMMIT after turning off AUTOCOMMIT.
>
> What other things should I be looking at to spped this up?

It could be that your server is doing too much work because you don't have
enough WAL segments or something.

But I'd suggest looking at COPY for bulk imports.  It's way faster.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke