Re: work_mem and shared_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: work_mem and shared_buffers
Date
Re: work_mem and shared_buffers
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:08:57 -0600
"Campbell, Lance" <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> How do you know when you should up the value of work_mem?  Just play
> with the number.  Is there a query I could do that would tell me if
> PostgreSql is performing SQL that could use more memory for sorting?

8.2 and older, it can be difficult to know, and I don't have a specific
recommendation.

8.3 includes a parameter to log the usage of temporary files by Postgres.
When a sort can't fit in the available memory, it uses a temp file, thus
you could use this new feature to track when sorts don't fit in
work_mem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies