Locale and indexes: howto? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reg Me Please
Subject Locale and indexes: howto?
Date
List pgsql-general
HI all.

While reading chapter 11 of v8.2 I've encountered this sentence:

However, if your server does not use the C locale you will need to create the
index with a special operator class to support indexing of pattern-matching
queries.

Well, I'd like to use the C locale at least for PGSQL.
Accordingly to my system (Linux, of course) these are my locale settings:

LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

(I'm Italian, I think).

So the "locale" itself seems to be a little bit more complex than I thought.
I already use the C language collation schema, very useful in directory
listings. Should I install PGSQL with also the LC_CTYPE=C?
Or what?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Reg me Please