Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 31 October 2007 11:29, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> > The scary thing is that there is almost a 5% of skilled people using
> > PostgreSQL, but less than 1% demand by companies or employers in
> > general.
>
> The main thing this is saying is that people who have positions involving
> PostgreSQL to fill aren't advertisting them on joinvision; they show 9
> active right now.  Since I've never heard of that site before, and they're
> tiny (they list 2663 tech jobs right now, dice.com has 95,817), I wouldn't
> draw too much of a conclusion beyond that from their data.  Not a big
> enough sample size.
>
> However, a larger search on Dice suggests similar percentages. Dice shows
> 249 jobs that mention PostgreSQL, while 2245 mention MySQL and 20617
> mention Oracle.  If you cut those numbers up, again PostgreSQL jobs do
> seem to be around 1% of the total DB hiring market.

At the risk of being moderated, part of this problem is a manifest of the
problems people have talked about with our product name.  Case in point,
search dice for {match any} "postgresql postgres postgre" and the results
climb to 383, nearly 50% more.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} Postgre