Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
Re: select count() out of memory  (Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com>)
Re: select count() out of memory  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
List pgsql-general
tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no wrote:
> > tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no wrote:
> >> Thats good enough for me, thats exactly what I want.
> >
> > In that case, why use partitions at all?  They are simple independent
> > tables.
>
> For two reasons,
> - the data logically belongs together.
> - because its more practical to create tables as childs of a parent table
> than as independent tables.
>    - changes to the table is applied to all partitions, and prohibits
> tables with different dd.
>    - performing the create operation does not require the source code to
> contain the ddl of the parent table.

You can use CREATE TABLE LIKE, which copies the definition but does not
set the inheritance.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la