Re: keeping an index in memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: keeping an index in memory
Date
Re: keeping an index in memory  (Rajarshi Guha <rguha@indiana.edu>)
List pgsql-general
Rajarshi Guha <rguha@indiana.edu> wrote:

> Hi, relating to my previous queries on doing spatial searches on 10M
> rows, it seems that most of my queries return within 2 minutes.
> Generally this is not too bad, though faster is always better.
>
> Interestingly, it appears that the CUBE index for the table in
> question is about 3GB (the table itself is about 14GB). Not knowing
> the details of the postgres internals, I assume that when a query
> tries to use the index, it will need to read a 3GB file. Is this a
> correct assumption?
>
> In such a situation, is there a way to keep the index in memory? My
> machine has 8GB installed and currently has about 7.4GB free RAM (64
> bit linux 2.6.9)

Free or cached/buffered?  Your OS should be using most of that to
buffer disk blocks.

> A side effect of the size of the index is that if I do a query that
> performs a seq scan (say using cube_distance) it takes longer than
> when an index is used, but not significantly longer. And this is on a
> 10M row table.
>
> What strategies do people follow when the index becomes very big?

What version of PG are you using and what is your shared_buffers setting?

With 8G of RAM, you should start with shared_buffers around 2 - 3G, if
you're using a modern version of PG.  With that much shared memory, a
large portion of that index should stay in RAM, as long as it's being
used often enough that PG doesn't swap it for other data.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com