BUG #3652: quiet / VERBOSITY=terse does not silence PKEY NOTICE message - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Kleemann
Subject BUG #3652: quiet / VERBOSITY=terse does not silence PKEY NOTICE message
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3652
Logged by:          Robert Kleemann
Email address:      kleemann@scharp.org
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4
Operating system:   linux, solaris 10
message
Details:

Even if quiet and verbosity terse is set, creating a table with a primary
key will generate a NOTICE message that reports an index is being created.

dfmt_kleemann1=> \set VERBOSITY terse
dfmt_kleemann1=> \set quiet on
dfmt_kleemann1=> CREATE TABLE table1 (column1 INT, PRIMARY KEY(column1));
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "table1_pkey"
for table "table1"
CREATE TABLE
dfmt_kleemann1=>

I believe that the index is created via a call to
talblecmds.c:ATExecAddIndex()

The line:
    /* suppress notices when rebuilding existing index */
    quiet = is_rebuild;

Indicates that the message is only suppressed when an index is being
rebuilt. I think it should also be suppressed when the quiet option or
VERBOSITY terse is specified.

The usage case that makes this a problem is that I am using psql to operate
on a large sql file that creates many tables. The non-suppresable NOTICE
message is printed many times and makes it difficult to see actual error
messages when they show up.