Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
Date
Re: ecpg thread-safe descriptor
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 02:38:09PM +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Here is a patch to fix thread-safety of SQL DESCRIPTOR in ecpg.
>
> The global variable 'all_descriptors' is split into per-thread vars.
> There was another idea of splitting into per-connection vars, but
> I did not do that because there are allocating descriptors before
> connection and deallocating after disconnection in the regression test.
>
> The attached descriptor.pgc is a test case for the issue.
> It is not included into regression test of ecpg.

(haven't looked at the patch itself)

> If this change is acceptable to be applied to HEAD, I'll start backporting
> recent fixes (prepared statement, memory allocation and descriptor) to 8.2
> (and older versions if possible).

Are you sure we should backport this to 8.2 and earlier? It's fairly large
changes, and not necessarily entirely straightforward (for example, the
buildfarm is still partially broken from the earlier ones not being
portable enough).

I think this can be considered a "new feature" and not just a plain bugfix,
so it should probably only go into HEAD.

//Magnus