Re: name Re: Dropping postgres as a whole. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: name Re: Dropping postgres as a whole.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2007-09-27_14:24:47-0400 "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> The reason I brought up Pg as a whole is:
>
> 1. It is short and sweet

I think that's a problem.  I think Pg might be good name for a variable
in some code, but not in written documentation.  My primary concern is
the search engines.  Google is going to be the first place many, many
people go to look for information.  Both 'PostgreSQL' and 'Postgres'
unambiguously refer to a specific thing.  For better or worse, search
engines have a huge impact on product visibility, and even usability.
Try searching for information on 'screen' for example.

I do think it's fair to compare the merits of choosing a name based on
its written impact vs. how it's spoken though.

I wonder what the record is for the longest running listserv thread.

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/