Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
Re: Change the name  ("Satoshi Nagayasu" <snaga@snaga.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
> > Andy,
> >
> > > 2. At some point way early on in this thread, Josh Berkus said the largest
> > > community has already voted no.
> >
> > No, it was Drake, not me.  JD was pointing out that someone (I don't remember
> > who) had spoken for the JPUG board against a name change.  Since JPUG is our
> > single largest national community, this is a pretty significant "no" vote.
>
> If someone were me, I would like to point out that I'm not in the
> position of speaking for JPUG bord. However when I startred a
> discussion in the JPUG's mailing list on name changing, I found the
> major opinions were against the name change. If you really want to
> know how the JPUG board think, I could send an inquery to them.

I asked the JPUG borard and they decided not to express yes or no
opinion for name changing.

Here are some opinions from JPUG board members.

- We don't want to change the name

- It is ok to change the name if all communities other than Japan wish
  to do so

- "Postgres" lacks "DB" or "SQL", which is not good for new
  users since they might not notice it's a database software

- "PostgreSQL" is definitley hard to pronounce

- "SQLite" is hard to pronounce too, and people tend to pronounce
  "Linux" differently, but the become popular

- It's just a matter to unify the pronounciation of "PostgreSQL", isn't it?

- Finding or creating PostgreSQL applications is much more important to
  make PostgreSQL popular than discussing the name change
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan