Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Satoshi Nagayasu
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi all,

I apologize that I don't read all messages in this thread,
but I can give some comments from the Japanese users' view.

I don't see the benefit of changing the name, so I don't
have any reason to change the name right now.

In Japan, many people pronounce 'Post-gres' or 'Pos-gre',
but such ambiguous pronunciation is not a serious problem
for us (PostgreSQL community). In fact, PostgreSQL has
many users and large market-share in Japan.

I'm working in Japanese PostgreSQL community, writing
PostgreSQL articles for DBAs in magazine, planning/holding
the PostgreSQL user conference (Josh was comming),
and discussing with many users and developers.

According to my experience, to boost our market-share,
we (PostgreSQL community) have to write more techdocs
(for DBAs), share our case studies (best practices),
and write/port more applications which support PostgreSQL.

There is no silver bullet.
Changing the name is not a silver bullet.

Just my opinion.

Do you really think that changing the name could benefit/help
the PostgreSQL users/developers?
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <snaga@snaga.org>