Re: Out of Memory - 8.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Out of Memory - 8.2.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 09:12:17AM -0700, Jeff Amiel wrote:
> Tracking for last few days.
> Does not appear to happen when little or no user
> activity (like Saturday)  I don't know if that rules
> out autovacuum or not (if no update threshholds are
> reached, no vacuuming will take place anyway)

I don't think I've seen it so far this thread, but what are your memory
overcommit settings and allocated swap? At least on Linux you would
need a significant chunk of swap to be able to work with that much
memory, even with overcommit off. Check the rules for your system.

Another thing I havn't seen mentioned: you appear to be on a 32-bit
architecture and with 2GB shared_buffers you've lost half your address
space on that alone. Perhaps you simply don't have enough contiguous
address space to alloc 512MB.

Hope this helps,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment