Re: Postgresql performance in production environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Postgresql performance in production environment
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 05:15:34PM +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> Well based on some past posts, I looked into my pg_log stuff and found
> a number of these lines:
> [----------------
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable

Usually this message means that the *kernel* refused to let you fork a
new process. Some resource was unavailable. So this means (usually) one
of two things:

- You have a maximum on the number of processes on the system and
you're exceeding it
- You have a limit of the amount of memory. If you have overcommit
disabled this may be causing the issue.

I couldn't find quickly details of your setup but if you're running
linux with overcommit disabled, make sure you have at least twice as
much space allocated for swap as you have real memory.

Make sure you don't have lots of idle postgres processes lying around.
You'll have to provide more detail about your system before getting any
better recommendations.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment