Re: UTF-8 encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bhyuan
Subject Re: UTF-8 encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for your  replay.

Maybe SQL injection-like security issues will occour,
but I find that differend version of Postgresql get different result.

Such as the sql
set client_encoding='SJIS';
select '\xc3\xaa',* from xxx;

on V7.4 @RH3 got
\xc3\xaa

on V8.1.2@RH4 got
    (blank)

on V8.1.4@FreeBSD6 got
ERROR:  character 0xc3aa of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "SJIS"

AND
Version 8.1
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/multibyte.html#AEN22591
------------------------------
If the conversion of a particular character is not possible -- suppose you chose EUC_JP for the server and LATIN1 for
theclient, then some Japanese characters do not have a representation in LATIN1 -- then an error is reported.
------------------------------

Version 7.4
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/multibyte.html#AEN18371
If the conversion of a particular character is not possible -- suppose you chose EUC_JP for the server and LATIN1 for
theclient, then some Japanese characters cannot be converted to LATIN1 -- it is transformed to its hexadecimal byte
valuesin parentheses, e.g., (826C).

I got confused, I just want to get the right sql result enen some character was
not encoded corrctlly.
Just like  V8.1.2@RH4  the not right character was ignored.

--
bhyuan <bhyuan@gmail.com>