Re: Yet Another COUNT(*)...WHERE...question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Yet Another COUNT(*)...WHERE...question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:09:32PM +0200, Rainer Bauer wrote:
> Anyway, what Phoenix is trying to say is that 2 queries are required: One to
> get the total count and one to get the tuples for the current page. I reckon
> it would help, if the query returning the result set could also report the
> total no. of tuples found. Somthing like

Well, thee is another possibility, use cursors:

DECLARE CURSOR ... AS <query>;
FETCH 30  -- or however many to want now
MOVE TO END  -- or whatever the command is, this gives you the number of rows

Hope this helps,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment