Re: timestamp skew during 7.4 -> 8.2 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: timestamp skew during 7.4 -> 8.2 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 10:11:29AM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> So if I understand correctly, a timestamp_tz is ...

... stored as UTC in the backend

... sent to clients shifted by whatever timezone was
    requested by the client by one of several mechanisms:

    - "set timezone to ..." used by the client
    - "select ... at time zone ..." used by the client
    - the server timezone if neither of the above is used

> according to the host's timezone configuration? For example if I
> travel with my server and cross several timezones, my timestamp_tz's
> will display a different time (provided I run the tzselect utility in
> Linux) ?
Yes, unless the client tells the server to send them shifted
to a different timezone (see above).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346