Re: Tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Tablespace
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 04:03:10AM -0700, RPK wrote:

> When PGSQL is installed, it creates two default tablespaces, postgres and

There is no postgres tablespace, only a database. The other default
tablespace is pg_global.

> pg_default. When a user creates a new database he is opted to select a
> tablespace from the above two. Do I need to create a different tablespace
> before creating a database in order to prevent playing with these default

No, it's perfectly fine to store stuff in pg_default. It's what probably
99% of installs do.

> tablespaces? While backing up the database, with a new tablespace, is new
> tablespace also backed up and automatically created when the backup is
> restored on another machine?

Tablespaces are "global" or cluster-wide objects. As such, pg_dump will
not do anything with them. You'd need to use pg_dumpall.

There's a whole different set of concerns with tablespaces and PITR.

Unless you have a real need for tablespaces, just stick with the
defaults.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment