Re: Update table performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Update table performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 07 August 2007 05:58, Mark Makarowsky
<bedrockconstruction@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a table with 4,889,820 records in it.  The
> table also has 47 fields.  I'm having problems with
> update performance.  Just as a test, I issued the
> following update:
>
> update valley set test='this is a test'
>
> This took 905641 ms.  Isn't that kind of slow?

PostgreSQL has to write a full new version of every row that gets updated.
Updates are, therefore, relatively slow.

I'm guessing you're doing this on a single SATA drive, too, which probably
doesn't help.

--
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more,