Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
Re: Linux distro  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:22:24AM -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> Ubuntu: What Windows wants to be, what the Mac is w/o the $$$$ and with
> more control.  I just replaced a hard drive in a dell machine.  A
> Great graphics, great package management.  However, it is still Linux
> and you still have to do some Googling here and there to find a HOWTO.
> Perhaps the most annoying problem is lack of support for widescreen
> monitors, you have to type tech data into an X config to get that
> working.  Also, IMHO stay away from 7.04, I've tried it on two machines

Sorry, couldn't let that pass. In 3 statements you just proved why
Ubuntu isn't remotely close to OS X. OS X pretty much just gets the heck
out of your way so you can do real work. Networking just works. Video
just works. By and large, you just don't have to mess with anything. Not
only that, but you still have all the unix tools you're used to (though
for development you'll need to install Xcode, but that comes with recent
versions so it's not a big deal).

Of course, that's not for everyone. If you want to really get down and
dirty with your OS, you'll be happier with *BSD, Linux or perhaps
OpenDarwin. Personally, I'm past that. I just want the stupid thing to
work with a minimum of fuss so I can get on to doing database stuff. :)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment