Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
Re: Linux distro  ("Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej.groups@gmail.com>)
Re: Linux distro  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general

Decibel! wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:22:24AM -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:
>> Ubuntu: What Windows wants to be, what the Mac is w/o the $$$$ and with
>> more control.  I just replaced a hard drive in a dell machine.  A
>> Great graphics, great package management.  However, it is still Linux
>> and you still have to do some Googling here and there to find a HOWTO.
>> Perhaps the most annoying problem is lack of support for widescreen
>> monitors, you have to type tech data into an X config to get that
>> working.  Also, IMHO stay away from 7.04, I've tried it on two machines
>
> Sorry, couldn't let that pass. In 3 statements you just proved why
> Ubuntu isn't remotely close to OS X. OS X pretty much just gets the heck
> out of your way so you can do real work. Networking just works. Video
> just works. By and large, you just don't have to mess with anything. Not
> only that, but you still have all the unix tools you're used to (though
> for development you'll need to install Xcode, but that comes with recent
> versions so it's not a big deal).
>
> Of course, that's not for everyone. If you want to really get down and
> dirty with your OS, you'll be happier with *BSD, Linux or perhaps
> OpenDarwin. Personally, I'm past that. I just want the stupid thing to
> work with a minimum of fuss so I can get on to doing database stuff. :)

You mean like my Ubuntu Laptop? ;).

Here is the difference:

1. Linux + Gnome (or kde) correctly configured is *almost* as usable as
Mac OSX.

2. Mac OSX is proprietary even down to the hardware. That is enough for
me to not use it. I gave up the whole IBM/SUN/SGI/HP fiasco of closed
door unix and hardware a decade ago.

3. Mac OSX is ugly. I know I just made a bunch of people poo in their
leather pants but it is. It is really ugly. I want clean, out of my way,
customizable interface that works the way "I" work. Not the way the kool
aide drinking fan boys of apple work.

That being said, I sure as heck wish that X + KDE or X + Gnome didn't
give me two paste buffers ;)

And with that beautiful flame... out!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake