Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
Paolo, I started with linux 6 years ago after being a confirmed
microsoftie my entire career, this is the experience I can offer:

Ubuntu: What Windows wants to be, what the Mac is w/o the $$$$ and with
more control.  I just replaced a hard drive in a dell machine.  A
generic windows CD (the customer did not have the specific recovery CD
for that box) could not install drivers for the network, the video, or
the sound.  Ubuntu did all of them.  Ubuntu however is a desktop OS.
Great graphics, great package management.  However, it is still Linux
and you still have to do some Googling here and there to find a HOWTO.
Perhaps the most annoying problem is lack of support for widescreen
monitors, you have to type tech data into an X config to get that
working.  Also, IMHO stay away from 7.04, I've tried it on two machines
and had troubles on both, to the extent of wiping one and starting over
at 6.10.  Stay with 6.10.

Suse: going for the same space as Ubuntu.  I tried it first, 6 years
ago.  It was ok at the time but can't tell you about the modern stuff.
I don't trust Novell to get it right though, just a personal feeling.

Fedora I don't use but as I understand there is a large body of people
with a lot of cultural knowledge about how it works.  So when you go
Fedora you join the club as it were and do things their way.  I tried
Red Hat back when it was Red Hat some 9 years ago and again 6 years ago
and I always found myself stuck on some detail that I could not find an
answer to.

Now if you want a hardcore distro to learn everything about linux, go
with gentoo.  There are no binary packages (at least not that I use or
can easily find), but you end up knowing *everything* about how Linux
works.  Very active community.  I used this as a desktop for 3 years as
a sort of long-term boot camp.  It did make me very comfortable with all
things linux.

Conclusion: I use gentoo on my servers and Ubuntu on my desktops.
Except for the virus ^H^H^H^^H gaming machine that I have for the kids
running XP.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.