Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes
Date
Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer wrote:
> >> Personally, I think documentation changes would be an OK way to
> >> to handle it.   Something that makes it extremely clear to the
> >> user the advantages of having the extra column and the risks
> >> of avoiding them.
> >
> > Sure, but you have make sure you use the right configuration in the
> > trigger, no?  Does the tsquery have to use the same configuration?
>
> I wish I knew this myself. :-)   Whatever I had done happened to work
> but that was largely through people on IRC walking me through it.

This illustrates the major issue --- that this has to be simple for
people to get started, while keeping the capabilities for experienced
users.

I am now thinking that making users always specify the configuration
name and not allowing :: casting is going to be the best approach.  We
can always add more in 8.4 after it is in wide use.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com