Re: Simple select hangs while CPU close to 100% - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Simple select hangs while CPU close to 100%
Date
List pgsql-performance

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Yes I did vacuum. In fact the only way to "fix" this problem is
> executing a "full" vacuum. The plain vacuum did not help.

Based on the information, I would expect that this problem is the result
of improper PG tuning, or inadequate server sizing (RAM, etc).

A table changing 100,000 rows shouldn't cause enough bloat to hurt
count(*)'s performance significantly, unless something else is wrong.

Some quick piddling around shows that tables with over a million rows
can count(*) the whole table in about 1/2 second on a system 2G of RAM.
A table with 13 mil takes a min and a half.  We haven't specifically
tuned this server for count(*) performance, as it's not a priority
for this database, so I expect the performance drop for the 13 mil
database is a result of exhausting shared_buffers and hitting the
disks.

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.