Re: 8.3 Release Schedule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 8.3 Release Schedule
Date
List pgsql-hackers
All,

> > I think part of the problem is exactly that the freeze period has
> > stretched into summer, and so people aren't around for one reason or
> > another, and so it's going slower than one could wish.

So, push feature freeze up to Feb 1.  That would give us 2-3 months of review
before "summer" starts, and would help.  It would also make it more probable
that we can release in time for a major OSS conference for a big announcement
(yeah, wearing my marketing hat again.  It's my assigned role).

> I am not sure the dump of patches at the end was the cause, particularly
> because we are approaching the time where we are spending more time in
> feature freeze than in development.  I think the larger problem is that
> these patches are just hard to review.

Actually, knowing what people are working on, I expect the issue to get
*worse* with each release -- Gavin's Windowing Functions, for example, or if
I get 2-3 Sun engineers working full time on SMP scalability (it's possible).
I do still think we should consider a distributed VCS so that at least bitrot
isn't part of the equation for review logjam.

Overall, I think we should start planning for a 3-4 month integration period
as a normal fact of life.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun