Re: data dependent sequences? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: data dependent sequences?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 07:34:26AM -0600, Stuart wrote:
> I am not looking for gapless sequences.  The reason I
> want to do this is the "typ" column is actually an indicator
> of the source of the rest of the infomation in the row.

Why do you need the sequence to be 1. . .n for each typ, then?  If
they're just there to preserve order, one sequence will work just
fine.  Otherwise, I think you have a normalisation problem.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.    --Alexander Hamilton