Re: psql/pg_dump vs. dollar signs in identifiers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: psql/pg_dump vs. dollar signs in identifiers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:04:27PM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Now, because we surround the pattern with ^...$ anyway, I can't offhand
> > see a use-case for putting $ with its regexp meaning into the pattern.
>
> It's possible to still usefully use $ in the regexp, but it's existence at the
> end means there should always be a way to write the regexp without needing
> another one inside.

Unless you're doing muti-line regex, what's the point of a $ anywhere
but the end of the expression? Am I missing something? Likewise with ^.

I'm inclined to escape $ as Tom suggested.
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org